· The Chamber’s Shop Local Promotion will start on Friday, Nov. 14. Stop by the following Vandalia businesses to register for a prize valued at $25 or more: Eclectic, Gloria’s Christian Supply, Family YMCA of Fayette County, Ma & Pa’s, Something Special, Thompson’s Home Center, Words, Wicks & Wood, Little Blue Eyes, Kaskaskia Supply & Rental, Tiger Lily, Elephant’s Attic, Fayette County Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop, Country Folk, Allen’s Furniture and The Red Door. Additional participating businesses will be announced later in the week, as well as details on each participating businesses’ prize. Just look for the sign with a Chamber logo and fill out a slip with your name and phone number to enter that businesses’ drawing.
· Old Tyme Christmas will be held downtown this week on Friday, Nov. 14, and Saturday, Nov. 15. Visit www.vandaliachamber.org for a link to a full list of activities. Please note that the Rotary Christmas Parade, normally held in December, will be held at 5 p.m. on Friday. The Chamber’s 100th Anniversary Cookbook will be on sale both days in the old Liberty coffee shop building. Cost of the cookbook is $10 and those who buy two cookbooks will receive a free T-shirt. The Vandalia Statehouse will be open both days, from 5-9 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturday. Volunteers are needed to greet Statehouse visitors during the event. Call 283-1161 if you are interested.
· The Kaskaskia College Vandalia Campus will be hosting a “Holiday Customer Service Workshop” Thursday, Nov. 13, from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Chamber members will receive a $5 discount and can attend the workshop for just $20. The class will cover maintaining a positive attitude, internal and external customers, the cost of losing customers, verbal and non-verbal communications and holiday stress for employees and customers. To register, call Debbie (618-545-3408), Cydney (618-545-3256) or Nancy (618-545-3402).
Here are other upcoming community education classes at the Kaskaskia College Vandalia Campus:
- Beekeeping IV Healthy Bees: Saturday, Nov. 15, 8 a.m.-noon.
- Gluten Free Diet: Tuesday, Nov. 18, 5:30 -6:30 p.m.
- Introduction to the Internet: Tuesdays, Nov. 18 -Dec. 2, 6-8:30 p.m.
Seniors 60 years or older tuition is waived. Registration for Spring Semester is also ongoing; contact Mary Schulze at 618-283-1780.
· Wings will be half price and drafts will be a dollar off on Tuesday, Nov. 11, at Embers Wood Fired Pizza, located at 7 Mattes Ave in Vandalia. There will also be a special going on next door at Huddle House, as customers can get two double cheeseburgers and two orders of fries for $6.99.
· Vandalia Subway now offers online ordering. Go to order.subway.com to place your order. Then stop by Subway at 915 Veterans Ave. to pick up your order 15 minutes after confirmation. There is a six-sandwich maximum on online orders.
· Who Says a Man Can’t Clean’s fall special is $25 off any service. Call 618-283-9994 for details.
· Be sure to visit Hosick Motor’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/hosickmotors, and “like” the Free Oil Change post by 7 p.m. on Tuesday to enter the Free Oil Change Contest. The winner will be chosen at random.
· Evans Public Library’s Food For Fines program is underway. Bring non-perishable food items to the library and for every food item donated $1 will be deducted from your fines and/or replacement costs of lost or damaged items.