• Wings will be half price and drafts will be a dollar off on Tuesday, Sept. 9, at Embers Wood Fired Pizza, located at 7 Mattes Ave. in Vandalia. There will also be a special going on next door at Huddle House, as customers can get two double cheeseburgers and two orders of fries for $6.99.
• Evans Public Library will host P.A.C.K. (Pups Assisting Children with Kindness) from 5:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 11. Children of all ages are welcome to come read to DarnFar Ranch’s specially trained therapy dogs. Registration is required. Please call the library at 283-2824 or stop by to sign up.
• Priority Staffing Group, 1442 N. 8th St., Suite B, will have a ribbon cutting ceremony at noon on Thursday, Sept. 11. Chamber members are also welcome to stop by between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. for lunch. Please RSVP for lunch by calling 283-9533.
• A ribbon cutting ceremony has been set for Thursday, Sept. 11, at 6 p.m. for the Family YMCA of Fayette County’s Dee Dee Hartz Memorial Playground and Pine Ridge Homes Pavilion. The Y is located at 710 Rock Island.
• Discount tickets for Six Flags and Holiday World are available at Illinois Real Estate Services, 2425 W. Veterans Ave. You can save $12 on a one-day Six Flags pass and up to $4.95 on a Holiday World ticket.
• Kaskaskia College’s Vandalia Campus will be holding several community education classes this month. A knitting class will be held from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13 and 20. Cost is $30. A “writing your memoirs class” will be held on Monday from 7 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. from Sept. 8 through Sept. 29. Cost is $40. A beginning guitar class will be held every Monday from Sept. 8 until Nov. 3 (no class Oct. 20) from 7 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Cost is $60 and ages 14 and older must have a guitar. Computer College Part I will be held Tuesday, Sept. 9 through Oct. 14 from 2 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Cost is $119. A pencil drawing class will be held Wednesday, Sept. 10, 17 and 24 from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. Cost is $30. Tuition is waived for those 60 and older.
• Vandalia Subway has a few specials going on this month, including the $3 Six-Inch Select Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki and $5 Footlong Italian BMT. Available for a limited time only, try the Mediterranean Collection featuring feta cheese and tzatziki sauce!
• Summer Breeze Wine House, located just south of St. Elmo in St. James, will be hosting Barn Dayz from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 13 and 14. There will be wine available from several area wineries, smoke BBQ from The Hitchin’ Post, several vendors and live music. Tickets are $10 for a souvenir glass and wine tasting or $5 for non-wine tasting. Contact Mindy at 367-2798. A full list of wineries and vendors is available at summerbreezewinehouse.com.